Thursday, May 15, 2008

My state of mind

I waited for hours yesterday for Kathy to be ready to go into town. While I waited I sat quietly outside on my patio listen to birds, being very peaceful. My state of mind is so relaxed, I know it may sound boring to some but it is a nice reprieve from the life I use to live some 5 or 6 years ago. Although being stagnant is not something I like. I love being busy staying alive and keeping up to date with things in the world and up to date in general. Waiting some five hours, we finally went into town around 7:30 in the evening. We went to a furniture store and she was given three paintings because they had purchased so many pieces. She gave me one for the Apartment, its a nice start.
We walked throught most of the south end of town looking not finding much. I didn't have any opportunity to purchase, but I enjoyed the time with them. They really are great people. We stopped at this french bakery, had a espresso with one of their family memebers and we all enjoyed one pastry. Each one was like a piece of art, I had a simple Palm leaf, layered pastry that is hard and crisp. The rest enjoyed the most delicate fancy treats in the shop.

Learning the town now, and experiencing some of the better places that the locals go to, is always good. We returned in a hour and half, a short trip but a nice one. I sat with them in the house and talked for one more hour. Retired to my little place. Its very small ,probably the smallest home/ apartment I have ever lived in. But I am living in Spain, its sometimes hard to believe when I wake up in the morning. But turning on the tele, is evidence and verification THAT I LIVE IN SPAIN.. not a word of English! But still CNN in any language is clear to understand. The world is in a state of errors, I do watch, but can only absorb small amounts, even in Spanish its depressing.
I don't feel we can solve the worlds problems, but to solve ones own is a start. As menial as it may sound, I have no agenda to repair the world, but only to repair my own health and mind, and that will hopefully be an inspiration to others.

Daily I am learning new words, understanding more, you would think that living in Costa Rica I could understand the language here, but there are so many different dialects, and words that are purely strange. Example: Papas, Costa Rica potatos, English Patatas. Catalan. Carro, Costa Rica Car, English Coache. Catalan. It goes on and on. But it is fun to try to learn and only communicate in Spanish. I know I have stated before that also there are many French, Germans, and British here so you have alot to chose from when wanting to learn new languages.
So I will try to see what I can learn here and use.
I know I have learned to be patient, something North Americans need to learn. I see the British suffer from the same HURRY UP SYNDROME.

The Latin culture is a wait and be patient culture. Being in Central American taught me much, not all good but much. Now being in the south of Spain in the Baleriacs, it still has a small part of the old latin traditions. Such as the siesta, the luxury of taking half a day to enjoy.

Frustrating to me still, because of my American Influence and living. Thinking that the day is lost but to them its gained. There is always tomorrow is the additude.
You may wait for an hour in some places to get served. So what do you do? Think, watch, talk, try to get a drink your self first, many people smoke.. and smoke alot. I noticed that the calmer you are the faster you are served.
I may learn to like this, it seems to be a nice way to enjoy people more, have interviews, meetiings that last four hours over wine, beer, bread, olives, aoli, Spanish ham or tapas. or like I do sometimes a cup of tea.