Friday, July 07, 2006

Panama Adventure page 3

Climbing the road to Bouquet, we rose over a small hill and there is was. A compacted but small community located in a little valley between, mountains. One is the Volcano Baru, the others just mountains. On the hillsides there are lots of trees of various types. Its very lush and very green. The Temperature is always about 60 to 80 degrees. I could see the town filled with people, located on one main road with a few arterial, but not long ones. Lots of curved side streets that lead to quaint houses, and buildings that dated back to the early early 1900's. One road had many inns on it with streams,and lots of vegetation. The Inns were built by Swedish people who immigrated there in the late 1800's.
This is a really beautiful town. All the way around. The temp, the looks of it the buildings the people too.

We drove up the mountain side, Tony wanted us to see the coffee plantations and the sites from the hills. You could see the other mountain, from the right, and the left and the town centered between the three. It was a site to behold. The Street was lined with Trumpet trees, these are trees that are about 8 feet tall with large flowers that look like a trumpet that hang down. Flowers everywhere... Butterflies and birds.

Tony wanted to find us a Hotel on the Mountain, something very Romantic he said.
But I suggested down in the town were we could see the people and see he action and walk around.
We all opted for my plan.
Arya and Eric saw this one Inn on a the road I described, We stopped, A very lovely place. Painted blue with shutters and and stone steps up the office. Lots of and lots of flowers lined the front of the Inn. Arya and I sat in the car and waited for Tony and Eric, Eric loved the place and the price was right. They only had two rooms left they were all booked up.
I went in and looked yes it was lovely and it was very clean and had a restaurant. But the beds were tiny, and the room was so small with no windows, I felt strange. So I decided to go further. Eric and Arya took the room, Tony and I went down the road to another place , it had steps so steep that I knew in the night if I had to go the restroom I would not make it with my leg.

So further we went. I suggested to go back towards town an take a side street. We did it curved around and then I saw an umbrella hanging in the front I said Stop here Tony! He went in and asked and they had one place left.
We went to see, and it was a octagonal shape building with a dome roof,sky light and a loft in the middle. It had a Kitchen and more! It was the same price. $65 a night! so I said lets take it.
These places were called Ilsa Verde, adorable little huts, with very nice gardens. Fruit trees tropical, every type of flower from all over the world.
you could hear the hummingbirds flying and sassing.
Loved IT!! We talk to the lady who owned it, come to find out a man who use to live in Jaco, lived there and opened a very cool African bar in the town called the Zanzibar. She was from Germany, this placehad an outdoor breakfast area where they served breakfast in the morning. We decided to go the store and get food to cook for Arya and Eric in the morning.
With this knowledge of the town now, information that she shared with me. I was very inspired to see the place.

Strawberry, farms, coffee farms, Streams running through the whole town, left natural.. It was so charming. I fell in love with it!

At the store I was shocked at the prices, Coffee from all around the area of Panama, for a dollar a pound. Rum 3 dollars for a huge bottle, fish, chicken, rice like 1.00... Wow we bought a lot of stuff and planned the breakfast, and took some things with us back to Costa Rica.

Then we drove straight over to the Inn, picked up Arya and Eric only after having a cocktail with them. And went to our place for snacks and drinks.
When Eric saw the place he loved it! wow he said I want to build this. Tony wanted me to find someone to help him and I and Invest and build some in Jaco. The whole thing was cool. We had such a nice time. The kids outside the place were playing soccer in the evening we could hear their laughter outside the window as we sat and talked and drank.

Later we dropped then off back at the Inn, but stopped first at the Zanzibar, to find the owner out front and asked about the place, A nother man was standing with him, with a big panama hat on looked like Robert Redford.... We all talked.

Tony and I went back to the Zanzibar and listen to the Jazz and had martinis! We actually danced. I talked to many people from around the world in there. One gal from England, one guy from France, John the Robert looking dude from Montana, and more... We had a wonderful time.. Wow the inside of the this place was so cool.
It had art from Africa, the ceiling was lined with grass mat, and the beams covered with burlap, the kickrails where bamboo, the chairs where Africans kneeling, and sitting and bending over. The colors were black and white zebra with red accents, very cool.. Excellent job on the decor and the atmosphere was perfect. Jazzzzzzzzzzzz

We left to go home, Tony was wasted... I was happy not drunk. He began to tell me about his life and how his wife and he were separated, and cried. Of course he was drunk so I didn't say much I just listen, he said something kinda mean to me. So I went to lay on the Sofa and let him have the bed , I wanted to go up the stairs but he didn't me to fall in the night. In a few moments, Tony was cooking rice, I was on the sofa. He forgot that he had to prepare for the morning breakfast, as soon as he was done he picked me up off the couch and put me in the bed and said. Better you sleep here, and be more comfortable and I will go on top.
So the night was short. We got up early and made breakfast, for Arya and Eric. I could hear the church bells ringing in the early morning hours. The breeze that morning was fresh and clean smelling. All the flowers were filling the air.
Tony apologized to me, told me in Spanish how he admired me, and said you are one good woman Marianna. I was flattered, I smiled and almost cried... He saw it and he hugged me very hard. We both were emotional. We could hear the bells, and smell the breakfast cooking. He then announced to me that this has been so far a most wonderful experience, and how grateful he was to me for asking him to share.

Arya and Eric were picked up by Tony while I continued to make the breakfast. We had Rice and beans Tico style, Fried potato and onions, eggs, and bacon, and strawberries and keewis, yogurt, juice and coffee. Small little Tortillas that were indigenous to the area made from yellow corn but nothing like you have tasted.

It was abeautiful morning! the birds singing and the smells, the sounds of children laughing, and the bells....

Soon we left and got on the road to David, back to th main highway to another beach so we thought!!!

No comments: