Thursday, January 01, 2009

Corn Islands

My Face was covered with salt, I was returning from little Corn, I left about ten in the morning in a small ponga.The ride over was so bumpy, jamed packed with people, luggage, supplies for the small primative Island that sits in the Caribean sea just east of Bluefields Nicaragua. The swells were very big, many people were sick. I just held my head down, as water covered my head and face. I kept my eyes shut so I wouldn't get sick. But the ride back was easy, no swells an we were riding with the wind so it made it go very fast.
Natural purple coral and conch on the little corn. Little Corn is very primative, no roads only walk ways leading in the dense jungle areas right off the beach. The sea is light blue you can not see here but it was very clear, its a smilar look to big corn, but is extremely rustic. Poverty is mainly the




Jamed into the Ponga even with rollers on!
IT is similar to big corn, but has no streets what so ever. Only walking paths that lead you from one end to the other.



Conch shells found along the beach edge. So many of them More Chonch, I ate ceviche from this it was really tasty

Beautiful designs, from bottles great way to recycle old rum bottles.


concrete, and glass, the starfish were cute out of tiles.




In a clothing store the background for the clothes.

Windows made from Rum bottles
More patterns in the Rum bottle windows Arriving in the ponga to little Corn


When I got off the boat, the Island was filled with foriengers, from so many countries. All with back packs and gear for walking. I found cute small places to eat just as you enter the walkway, a path or trail the leads all over the island. Some went back into dense jungle where very poor people live with tin walls and carboard. No floors, no heat, no electricity, no water running. I was only there a few hours, but from what I saw it was pretty simple to figure out that they depend strickly on the tourists for income. A few small Hotels and restuarants, and some cute shops. I had a big beach purse that had two straps on it. Inside this purse I had my binoculars, money brush, baithing suit and surroungs, extra shoes. The purse was heavy and one of the straps broke. Carring this around was a pain so I began to ask if anyone had a machine to sew it or fix it. I was lead to a path in the jungle with houses on either side, like little alley ways in the jungle.I keep asking and walking deeper and deeper into the island. Finally came upon a little tiny crude structure with a crawling plant growing all over it. I saw a small hand written sign on the tree infront of it saying shoe repair or whatever you want me to fix. So I asked if was the one that could fix my purse. He said yes, they looked very indian, small in stature dark skin. There were two small girls ages 4 and 3, one about 12 and one young man maybe 19. I chatted with them while he hand sewed the purse handles. I looked around and saw they had no bathroom no beds, only hammocks, dirt floors and no water. A gas burner with butane for cooking and big camp like fire area in the back. The little girls were stareing very hard at me, I thought what do I have in this purse I can give to them. I emptied the purse, I had a new hair tie so I gave that to the big girl, I found some change and candy and gave this to the small girls, the boy I gave some gum. The man I ended up giving him 200 cordovas, equals about ten american dollars. I knew it was alot more than he imagined. But my heart was breaking for them simply because I asked what they were doing for Christmas which was the next day? They had no food I could see of.. they said nothing just sitting and being. Although I know this was not much, I figured they buy something to eat, a chicken, some bread.. something. He was so happy he kissed me gently on the cheek. Said Merry Christmas to me.. I turned quickly because I was crying, I felt so humble, wishing I could give him more. But I didn't have much in my purse to give.. didn't matter they were so happy with that. He was going to charge me 30 cordobas which is about a little more than a dollar. I walked away from there feeling very humble. Yet happy that the purse broke, and maybe that was the whole purpose of me going to corn. Because I did nothing after that, I didn't eat I just walked and looked and enjoyed and returned back in two hours. I know that those little girls will always remember the blonde ladie who showed up the day before Christmas and gave them a surprise. I hope it blessed them? because it blessed me. I returned to Big Corn, ate dinner at Marthas and reflected on Christmas itself and thanked God for where I am and what I have done. That I am a blessed person..











Storm blowing in over the snorkle areas, this is the rocky reef side.










Relax in a hammock or lounge chair at Marthas






























No comments: