Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The turtle reserve beach clean up

This morning was started at 5:45, no coffee.. I am trying to stay away from it for a couple of days. It is agitating my incision, so no coffee at all.
I sat outside and heard lots of Macaws screaming in the trees in the early morning hours. I listen to the birds and drank some green tea. Soon was getting ready for the morning.
Yesterday I had an email from the chamber that they were having a Clean up day at Playa Hermosa for the Turtle reserve. I had written and article earlier for one of the publications about the beach and how I believe that teaching the children to clean up and what not to do to the beaches is the way to change the horrible situation of garbage that is found every where. The chamber and I are on the same page. In receiving this mail yesterday, I suggested to the guys here that we all go very early to the clean up and join in with the children to clean the beaches for the Turtles and people, and plant trees in areas that are needed.

We all left around 7:30 and rode to Hermosa where we met up with lots of volunteers for the very first time in that area ever.
They had a canopy, water, gloves, bags, and food for everyone.
I took the first small group, Clint on the other side with a group and Christian at the gate letting cars in.
But there was more than just us.. It was warm the weather was perfect and I was happy to be doing something good and knowing that possibly I could be helping a situation that in the future may not be here unless more of us do this.
The day of environment appreciation, was a good one!!
Later I had another group who were really good little workers. We cleaned for about two hours together, I finally saw Christian get in and help along with tons of other people. I think we may have had about 250 children or more and many adults.
The turtle reserve is really beautiful, the sands are black and the beaches are endless the water because of the black sand is dark and intense.

We actually saw a few nest's that had already hatched out a week or so ago, but the real date for there return and nesting is in the late part of June to July. The most part of July is were you see lots of them coming and digging and planting there Eggs in beaches that many ancestors ago used.
The clean up today was the very first one. the administrator, a private individual, now supported by the country, Was so happy and shocked, elated is the word.
When I heard this I knew that what We had done was a very good thing to be involved with for the future of the country.

In the month of June I plan on writing a whole story for two publications on the history, how, and what has happened in the past. The robbery of the eggs, how people sell these for food, pleasure. And all the details of the preserve. Also If anyone is interested you can come and observe for a fee and spend the night or help with the conservation of the turtles here in Hermosa.
Contact me and I will give you all the information, and if you need hotels or anything when you arrive here please email or call us at the office. Here is the mail:
Marianna.love@gmail.com the phone in Costa Rica 506 637-8438

It was good day, came back to find the water off at my place so no shower, and I was full of sand. I changed and tried to clean up best I could to return to the office for a few hours to work on a proposal, Now Clint and Christian and just resting here in the office and I am emailing and now blogging.

A few people came in to tell me they loved my June article in the Jaco guide. I had coffee with one of them another just talked. The two others made me laugh so hard saying I was full of LOVE???? too funny!! Now tonight were going to a concert at The Best Western, and a meeting with the chamber.
We are really trying to be more involved and be aware of how our little city and our beach towns are growing.

No comments: