Friday, March 25, 2011

ROATAN EXPERIENCE

Roatan , is a beautiful place,Barrier Reef, palm trees, sandy shores of pure white, winding roads, rolling hills, trade wind breezes.
I am sad I can not be there to enjoy the Island and the food, the people are are different than My experiences in Central America Costa Rica. Although after that last experience I chose to return to USA for some time to be with my sons, see friends I thought? and just try to return to the life I knew before. Something is to be said about LEAVING A PLACE AND RETURNING? Not as easy to assimilate, as I you think.

I have been back for three months and still have not adjusted to the life in USA yet, I don't believe it is going to happen soon either.

I found that the people of Roatan were friendlier, they seem to have mixed feelings like the Costa Ricans but were able to embrace the foreigners in a different way.

The reason perhaps is because of the mixed culture there that has been there since the the Spanards invaded the island. The three or four or five cultures I saw were the Indios, Honduranas, Iselanas, Garafunas. Then comes the Gringos including Canadians, and Europeans. The Mix of people for me was fun, you were able to feel the Latin life but also the other cultures effected your life living in Roatan.

Spanish is one of the languages that is spoken in Roatan, but the real language feel is the isalena, a blend of English, and Garafuna. I can understand it some but not much. Its comical most times to listen to them chat to one another, it has a pleasant song like quality to it.

If I had not have such a horrible experience with the Robbery I believe I would still be there enjoying the sun and the Island vibe. Lets just say this I don't believe my adventures are over, I have had some very incredible and some very simple adventures that have added flavor to my personality and my spirit. If you want to hear more let me know I would like to continue on this blog but Im not sure my readers are still out there I need some feed back about this and If so I will continue and tell all the stories I have in my treasure trove of mystery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoy reading your blog...the simplicity of your life as it was in central america. i hope you find peace and serenity on whatever path you may choose and wherever you see that you are destined to go...

Esti said...

So nice to see you back Marianna with your blog.
Few times you got me thinking of coming to see you in Roatan.....