Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

When walking into town through a little barrio first, then some curves. Seeing a small stand that sold sliced watermellon, and peeled Oranges with sprials on the white skin, I looked to the left and saw a swamp in the middle of the town. This must be the continuance of the black water river. It was really interesting to see this in central of town. The weather right now there is cool, its warm yes but breezy and at night so refreshing. It was a good change for me. The whole town is very primative as I said. I have many examples to explain so keep reading in the next few days


The black rive is the river you see on the far left edge the house is the end of the beach.


Shells I found, along with huge conch shells, star fish and much more. I brought home a sack of shells and objects to display in my house. I made a fish here from the coco, shells and coral I found along the beach.



Me getting a pedicure by one of the maids, it was two hours long and felt great!! cost me all of $7.00 Dos Iguanas in the afternoon sun




Click on this photo and see the old rustic structure, Marthas is on the left of this, this property contains the mountain behind and is owned by the orignal people who settled there. The whole Island is multi lingual. Patua, Miskito, Spanish, English.


The pepas off the balcony of Marthas





Here is a strange natural odity, this is a black water river and pond. I never in my life saw one although I have heard about black waters. This is not contamination or pollution, it is tannins in the water made from the leaves of the mangrove and other highly colorfull plants around and along this river, as the plants disenegrate, and break down in the water the water turns black, it didn't contain any odor or matter ontop. It was cooler than the ocean water of course but as it flowed into the sea it stained all the surrounding rocks and sand. The sand was very clean and pretty white. So around this it became darker. The River was filled with Tarpin, and turtles, many birds and many small fish but you would only see a small ripple now and then and the turtles would just blend in from the dark color of the water.





Behind Marthas

The Grounds at Marthas



The sidewalk leading to th beach from Marthas




These are the small ranchos infront of Marthas




One of the ports there are two docks this one is the main one, another is strickly for fishing unloading and for the fish processing plant

I suppose you are wondering why I have not blogged much. It was because I left at 6 am one morning to go the Corn Islands in Nicaragua. I had done some reading about it, I found out it was pretty inexpensive to spend a few days in. Although there is no phone lines or internet in any of the small hotels, or the bed and breakfast. There was one location with internet but most days were closed. So I was unable to call anyone or email or internet. Here is what happened. I spent many days working on two condos here in Jaco, I ate or drank something the Sunday before and got some sort of virus in my digestive track. I was very sick for more than a week. It was strange how I felt, from bad diareaha, to vomiting, to hard strange feelings in my stomach and horrible acid reflux. So when I left I went to San Jose for a test, then when on my way to Nicaragua. I found out it was just a virus and took some acid medications and ate very light. Which was fine I couldn't eat anyway.

I left at 6:00 am to begin my journey. I had to leave for my Visa. It was much less expensive to go there, than to try to fly to USA for Christmas to be with my children. Although I would have enjoyed seeing them. Christmas was quiet and relaxed. But thoughts of my family were heavy on my mind. I was hoping I would have emails from them but I didn't. I had such a nice time, it was so inexpensive to do.

The bus was cheap from Costa Rica to the border. When we arrive to the border I didn't have to to disembark the bus they collected our passports in a bag had them mass stamped, we paid a small fee, then they returned them and we went on. Granada being the first stop. It is a colorful small pueblo, old world Spain. The Colonial Spanish Architecture was evident in every little street, and structure we passed. It was quite charming really. I found it clean and colorfull. City plazas, with statues, very different from Costa Rica.















I have to say I was impressed with Nicaragua, thinking and hearing all the bad I have heard about it giving it such a bad reputation, made me skeptical about going but I needed to leave , so I chose The Corns, it was close and cheap. I went, and pleasantly found out other wise. There was not from what I could see, any miltary uprising, or unrest. It was quiet on the roadsides. But you did see the three party flags about certain pueblos. The red, for the Eyes open liberals, the Santanistas, red and black, and the green for the conservatives. But no problems and no armed men any where.












The bus ride ended in Managua, where I got out and took the craziest Taxi you can imagine. The driver had no teeth, maybe one or two? He was short chubby and very grubby. The Taxi had a broken front windsheild, side window and the trunk flew up whenever we hit a bump or stopped. The shocks were completely gone so it scraped occassionally. I don't know if he had brakes because he was sounding his alarm at every intersection, because he had no horn. This was a ride of lifetime, I was laughing at times then I was also wondering if we would make it across some intersections because of the condition of this jolopee.











He took me on a goose chase of course! and I told him I knew he was doing it but he continued. I ended up at the air termial where I tried to book a flight which was only $130.00 dollars both ways to the Corns. They were full. You couldn't contact them on the net,nor could you call them. Nor could I book it here from an agent, you have to go inperson. I felt confident I would get a space they had one more flight durning the day so I took the chance and asked if I could get on the list. I also asked if I could just buy the ticket and wait? They don't use a computer system for the airline it is called La Costena, so she hand wrote my reservation, a I paid. Funny fifteen minutes later she walked up to me and said I had a space. So I put myself and my bag on the scale and got ready to board.

The plane only seats about fifteen passagers, but there was only 12 too much luggage and weight. It took a little more than a hour to get there.

Landing on a airstrip that was narrow and in the middle of a field. With Jungle all about it. The whole Island is pretty behind the times. It has only one road that just recently got paved. It goes in a circle around the the edge of the Island. There are small arterial roads but are not paved and cars cannot really pass. So walking after parking is what you have to do. I took a taxi immediately around to see what is available and to kinda get a look at the place before dark. It was shocking in some parts the poverty is so low. I felt sad in a way but happy to be there to enjoy this beautiful place.











That night I stayed at a place called Sunrise it was on the windward side of the Island hardly any beach mostly rocks. Still breaktakingly beautiful crystal clear waters, and cool breezes. This was a small private own like most there hotel/ hostel. Not very much at all per night. I moved the following day because there was no beach and nothing much around. I felt like I would like it better on the smooth beach side.











I found this place called Marthas, it was a bed and breakfast right near the end of the Island. It was owned by two ex Pats, of ex pats. They were ex patriats of The Corn. When the revolution broke out some 20 or more years ago, they left the Island because of milatary forces that are next to there Property. They were told to evacuate until the unrest was settled, They moved to USA. They are Miskito, a type of Indian that is orginal to the Island. They lived in Miami for many years and spoke perfect English as many of the Islanders do. They are black and color and resemlbe indians/negos. Very interesting looking. The place was small quaint, only ten rooms, with there main living area below all the rooms. They built a balcony on top so the guest could sit privately and enjoy the breeze and view. It was nice up there I loved hearing the rain and listening to the waves right below me about 500 feet. It ran about 30 per night including breakfast. Which Martha her self cooked, with fresh baked daily Coco bread. Made with the liquid of the coconut. SO YUMMY!!! in the day they had a chef who cooked anything you wanted. I ate so much fish, lobster, shrimp till I couldn't eat any more. It was very inexpensive the most I paid for Lobster was 8 dollars. Drinks only $1.00 at some places more others. beer was cheap I liked the Victoria frost. They have one called Tona that was goohey all swear its the best. For me I like the frost. I love the fresh pina coladas made with pineapple there and fresh coco. I drank daily pepa, that is coconut off the tree, after the cut the meat with a piece of the shell and you eat it with a fork or the shell. Its flesh is very gummy bear like. Chewy a little but not hard and tough like the ones you have in USA. Its soft very soft and so delicious. It is very healthy for you too.






There is so much for me to write about, And I hopefully can do it in three or so days. I have lots of photos too. I plan on posting as much as I can inbetween working on finishing the Condos I contracted,But other than this things are very good for me at the moment. I am remaining positive and very happy. I miss people, family but I am content inside. Now back to Corn adventure. Watch tomorrow for more!















































No comments: