Tuesday, April 26, 2011

MANGOS SEASON MISSING IT

I sat in the little office where I am working on this Wine event for my friend Tina yesteday, eating the most delicious Mangos.

WE bought them at this quaint store in Vancouver Washington called O DONG MARKET. It is an Asian Market that Tina and frequent about twice a month. I saw them there a couple of weeks ago and only splurged on one, then I went back the following week and bought two more. I would eat mango frankly every day when I lived in Central America, I even did a nightly Mango while lying in a hammock before going to bed.

Mangos seem to induce sleep and they are the most succulent, sensual fruit, aside from Guanabana that I have ever eaten. As I was working on the internet, eating this mango my mind was traveling and thinking about the smell of the mangos as you pass through Orotina Costa Rica, one the most highly planted areas with Mangos in Costa Rica I believe?

The smell of the flowers in bloom, and then when the trees are in full fruit it is amazingly sweet. Its not intoxicating but it is luring and makes you want to stop at every little stand that is built on the side of roads. Some of these stands are just loaded with different varieties, large ones small ones. Yellow ones, Peach colored ones, Pink ones, ones tinged with melon color, ones splashed with Red and green. GOD HOW I LOVE MANGOS!

I was typing away on the computer and dreaming about all the good things I have made with these mangos, then I got on Twitter. I post and do Social Media right now for www.montereywine.com and the West Coast Chowder Competition, I was on the twitter making posts about our Sponsors, when I saw a post from Food and Wine magazine on Twitter about Mangos and what they believe was a good way to use them. I had to laugh!!! I mean I am not making fun of FOOD AND WINE but, the fact that I was eating them, dreaming of them and they were talking about them in such a way that is so high falutant, made me laugh!


They are the most delicious things ever! when you buy them here they are green and have very little flavor, but At the O DONG they sell them in a mature state. YELLOW AND GOLD and WOW sweet as candy. I think the best way to have them is just sliced with salt and chili, the way the Central Americans eat them and not all dolled up and made out to be such a fancy little fruit! They are one of my passions in life.. MANGOS GIVE ME THEM DAY AND NIGHT AND IM HAPPY!! I think I need to go to O Dong today ?? Looking forward to more MANGOSSSSSSSSSSSS

No comments: