Monday, August 09, 2010

Moving on

Well I was right about Moving on, the things and the life in Jaco became so miserable, the crime so high and the tourisum low. Rates of crime higher than I could remember, the shot two people the weekend before I left in the place I always would frequent to dance, then I made up my Mind to seek out a better option. I friend of mine had bought a small shop in Roatan Island Honduras, beautiful tropical Carribean Island with calm seas. She wrote me to come and remodle her little ice cream shop I thought about it and decided that would be a good idea. I went spent a week and fell in love with Roatan. At that Time when I returned to Costa Rica the incidents were getting worse, I had one small contract doing a landscape and building a outdoor kitchen and bar and an outdoor shower for a client from Cananda, I was thinking the whole time I wanted to move, weather it was back to USA with my sons, or somewhere More tropical and safe that could be more supportive of my work and I could exsist a little better.
We finished the job in a month, it was not easy. We hauled all the tools on the bus, I woke up early every day drug things to the bus stop, in dirty clothes for work in the garden, Picked up all my workers on the way in the bus and paid there way. We rode for miles to an area Called bejuco. This is right near Parrita, that is outside of quepos near Manuel Antonio. Tiny little beach town, everyday walking from the bus more than two miles to the house in the heat early dawn hours, finishing at 2 or 3 walking back the two miles with the guys. Now remember I am a hands on person, besides with out me the guys hardly work. So I dug and pick axed, and hauled and lifted and planted right along with them.
ONE MONTH OF THIS, missing the bus now and then having to wait for hours in a dirty stinky four walled bus stand in the heat, garbage every where.. I thought each day my god if people really knew what I do to exsist, sometimes I would have flash backs of the life I had before, the hard work in the floral and event business but how glamorous and beautiful it was I would find myself remember events and reliving them as to not see the situation I was in. The lady we worked for, found me on Facebook Marianna Love, she found out I did all kinds of things and hired me site unseen on Facebook!!! THANK GOD FOR HER DENISE! she let me be creative and was so kind to us, when she finally came to see the work was in shock! loved it and me and all of us. She treated me like an angel. She saw how hard I worked and was amazed that I had the stamina to keep doing it, I told her sometimes in distress you keep going no matter, that I was happy to be working and I was glad she trusted me.
We bonded and Im so happy she came from Facebook into my life.

So I told her I was thinking of moving to Roatan she was curious, but I didn't give her details of when or how.
When we finished I made a goal, I told Clint my friend and life time assistant, that I was going to sell everything and move to USA or Roatan, depending on what happened. I would wait 6 weeks to try to find more work and if in that time I didn't I had to leave, I had to get out of Jaco or I would be dead soon. Not just the threats or the style of life but the work and the lack of work the lack of food and money was scaring me and practically distroyed me.

So that six week mark came, I was tyring to find work I had a job for a bar I spent hours on the design working with this guy from Canada but he failed to come through and in fact shorted me of the money he owed me for the time and design, the interpetations, the sourcing and more. So I said Im not waiting on him Im moving on.

I placed and add daily on Facebook I talk to people, I chated on msn, I posted on Craigslist and with in Two and half weeks I had sold everything I owned including some of my clothes and shoes and even all my plants, 17 orchids, huge large Potted palms beautiful outdoor furniture I designed, Even my paintings I painted. I had very little left

Only three suitcases I could bring on the flight. I contacted several places in Roatan and I got immediate response. From several resorts for Wedding designer and events, and from Carnival Cruise line to help with Decor for the ports. So I thought ok thats positive, nothing from Portland or Vancouver area where I was thinking to return. In fact I got lots of negative responses and the thought of going back to gray days, rain constant, buying a huge new wardrobe of heavy clothes and boots, and facing bronchitus yearly was not exactly my idea of my retirement.

Soooooo I chose Roatan, And wow what a flight and experience before that So stay tuned I plan on catching everyone up and I hope you enjoy these adventures, they are true to life, many times I dont tell all the really bad things because Its so sad or depressing that people would not believe it true but as for NOW I HAVE MOVED ON TO ROATAN HONDURAS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For those of us Perpetual Tourist here in Costa Rica who are on a fixed income have to think about our situation. Everything has doubled in price and the devaluation of the dollar compounds the inflation. Is it worth living here. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago but now it is becoming so hostile and anti american that you have to wonder. What the hell is going on. I have been researching Panama and Equador seems to be a better place to Retire. Hopefully by next year I will find a better place. Costa Rica is begining to leave a bitter tase in my pocket book and my lifestyse. I believe you made a wise choice moving. Let us know how you are doing and post some pictures. You have a lot of people who love reading about your adventures. Bad or good It's good to hear from you....