Saturday, July 12, 2008

Beauty in unusal things

Ibiza from the Castle I live on the oposite side straight ahead in those foot hills
A memory of the past, still exsits in many areas and they function


Colorfull bouganvillias splashes of refreshing color against the stark white Spanish Structures




Statis I cut from the garden along with Abuelas onions
Abuleas braided Garlic




The cannas in Cathys Garden
A salt worn rock that was taken from the rough rocky edges of the Mediterrenean Sea, planted with Catus
Onions from this years Garden, that are sweet Although I am in Spain, many thoughts of Costa Rica are passing, I am conflicted with memories of both. I feel that what I had set out to experience has not ended by any means yet. I must return to USA, but seriously in my heart I have love for the Spanish Culture. I will return, and I will see Italy and Sicily. At this moment I have no idea how, Money is the real issue. But I know that in my past when I believed in doing something I made it happen.
I Have so much to say really, these next couple of day may be lenghty. So many thoughts are passing through my mind.


Costa Rica: laying on the hot volcanic beach, wading in the warm tropic waters, eating fresh green mangos with salt and lime, that is sold by people who walk the beaches. The dark skinned Nicos, selling many items as they walk the beaches and the streets. Waking to the sound of birds, large red and blue Macaws, screaming in the heat of the early morning sunrise. Tucan's in the near by trees, and entering my apartment to take a bite to eat of some fresh pina. More..... the colors, the fruits, the flowers, thin cattle grazing in the fields, and the jungle itself. Waterfalls, Rivers, the beaches that I loved so much. Not having bills sent to the house, not one paper bill, no mail boxes, riding in taxis that were cheap, buying weekly fresh home grown fruits, veggetables, fish, chicken, eggs, honey, and drinking the pure juice from the crushed sugar cane.n Meeting people from all over the world.

Of course there is as much bad as good, everywhere in the world. Yes I did experience some horrifying situations by American Standards. But I prefer to look at the good points, the life style change, the weather being warm all year round. The Latin food, Music that makes anyone want to get up and dance and forget your troubles.
Enjoying doing nothing but visiting with friends in an afternoon coffee. Or an evening any time of the year sitting outdoors.
Seeing real poverty and actually being with people who literally live off the land.
I spent the weekend three time's in Cristhians Fathers house. This house sat in the jungle, near his grandmothers, uncles and most of the family who lived in this zone for many years. The roads were all dirt, like most of them in the country. Huge pot holes, rocks, its really sort of fun to drive on, challangeing and dangerous too! In the onset of seeing this home, all I could do was think about all the luxurious homes I have worked in, all the fancy houses of clients, and ponder if they could see what I am seeing, what would they think? If Cristhians family knew what a life I had previously would would they think? I was shocked at first, Dirt floors in the kitchen, minimal items in the house. Walls of old wood with cracks in them, with rays of sunlight filtering through, Windows but no panes of glass. Water but only from a rustic tube that came up from a river. Chickens walking about the kitchen. A wood burning pit for cooking, and a old sink with attached faucet that drained right into the dirt. A modern Refrig, but not much in it. Sitting on a beat up old table was two pineapples that of course a family member gave to them and these pods of the palm tree they would boil and eat with salt mayonaise, a tortilla and coffee. Me,Sleeping on the rough bare wood floors, and wondering if they the family were really happy living like this?

They dress as normal people very clean, smelling of purfume. The shinny hair of the women from an oil that is applied to the hair to keep the hair from puffing up from all the humidty.


The life is purely simple, they are happy, I was curious but never questioned or made comments. Only obseverd, and was part of the family. A few times I bought rice and beans, honey and pure cane sugar in a block form for his grandmother. When I saw the pen with the pisquene, an animal like a large rat, I was mortified at this, I had eaten in a small soda and didn't know what it was. It is a delicacy, and something not all the people grow. IT IS DELICIOSO!

I experience many situations that most Americans would be appauled over. But respected , and fit in tried to enjoy what simple pleasures, I could gain with situations I never imagined. I was not offended once, I just accepted what it was and really tried to be as sincere as I could.


I was welcomed into many peoples homes, and offered whatever they had to eat and shared right along with them.
Spain on the other hand is opposite, Same language with a twist. Many hisses and lispt but its intended, The culture is present but its a modern country, with up to date living, The Real Spanards are forward. Strong people, The Ibicecans, real ones are kind and generous, lovely people. Most stick to the culture, but enjoy the all the modern convienices. The infrastructure is great, Highways are perfect, with many round about's these prevent accidents, something that is needed in the States. From what I see the infrastructure is very good, security here is good, rate of crime is low. There are no bars on the windows like in Costa Rica. I am sure there is corruption, its present every where in the world, but not as evident as it was in Costa Rica, or USA.
The music here is devine, a mix of modern pop, latin, and flamenco. I found a group I am completley in love with called Chambao, If you have seen a video of Ricky Martin this thin little woman singing in Spanish? this is the group.
Music has played an important role in my life, So the influence of this music is new to me, and I really love it. They also listen to allot of House, Euro, chill out music here. Before in the states My fav first was Jazz, then pop, and latin. Hip hop yes, I am what can I say a music lover Although only liked a very small portion of Country... Just never really liked it! sorry... but I appreciate there are some really great artists.
To some people I am sure this Rubbish, but when you have a burning desire to try something or do something and you succeed, the memories of the good points are something to savor.


My thoughts on life are ever changed, even though family still perceive me as this Who knows? horrible person? but if they had seen what I have seen, or been in situations that I have placed my self into to know that my mind has been affected by the countries, the people, the total experience. They would understand that I am not the same Marianna as when I left some years ago.
commentor: Opportunity for what? running from what? rifs? the only opportunity is to be with my family, which I miss, Thank you for your comments, But your completely wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marrianna,

I've been reading your blog for years and it seems to me that your location chages a lot, but not you as a person. Some person differnt country. I think you should see coming back to the US as an opportunity to heal those rifts with your family and a time to figure out what it was your were running from.